A healthy balance of foods (protein, veggies, fruits, etc.) is the best choice for ensuring your children's healthy growth. And vitamins and multivitamins should not replace giving them well-balanced meals every day. However, anyone with a child understands how difficult it can be to get your children to eat the healthy choices you put in front of them.
Giving your children a multivitamin provides that assurance that no matter what their food intake (good or bad), on any given day, they have at least started with a multivitamin which provides small doses of essential nutrients and vitamins to help during their growing years.
Five Reasons you May want to Consider a Multivitamin Supplement
- A multivitamin is a supplement. It is just that. It is a way to supplement your child's diet and fill in any potential gaps in nutrition (vitamin & minerals) that may occur throughout the day.
- A good multivitamin will provide calcium and vitamin D, both required for building strong bones and teeth. Specialized diets, intolerances to milk and dairy may leave your child deficient in these key bone-building nutrients during early childhood and adolescence when their bone mass is being formed.
- Vitamins A, C, D and E are important immune-supporting and antioxidant vitamins that keep your child's immune system healthy and fortified. Depending on your food choices, unless you are eating organic many of your fruits and veggies may not contain as many of these vital nutrients as we hope.
- Children burn through a lot of energy throughout the day, which depletes the nutrients used to keep up with them. High sugar foods may provide temporary energy but are followed by a sugar crash, leaving your child more lethargic. A good multivitamin contains B Vitamins which help convert food into energy, supporting their energy metabolism.
- Starting your children on a multivitamin at a younger age helps them establish a healthy habit of supplementing their diet to be more likely to continue into adulthood.
If you do decide to give your child a multi, consider these tips:
- Buy a multi that's made for kids. This will give your child the right amount of nutrients for their body.
- Only give your child the recommended dose (overdoing it on supplements can be dangerous).
- Don't call multi-vitamins candy — this will have your child begging for more. (The multi's cartoon-character shapes are tempting enough without being told they're a treat.)
- Keep the bottle out of your child's reach to make sure they do not take extra doses.
- Continue coaxing your finicky eater toward a healthy well-rounded diet, rich in fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy products, lean proteins, and whole grains.
Choosing A Multivitamin For Your Child- Choose Salus
If you have decided to supplement your child's diet with a multivitamin, the next step is choosing the one that is the best fit for them. In general, most children's multivitamins provide the correct balance of what they need, especially if you are reaching for supplements from a health store where they tend to be more aware of ingredients like artificial fillers, sweeteners, and colours found in some children's supplements. However, you still need to be diligent and picky in your choices and read labels to ensure that you are not substituting quality ingredients for optimum flavour and fun shapes and colours.
One of the more popular brands of Multivitamins is the liquid options offered by Salus Haus. Salus is a German company that has been established in 1916, founded by Dr. Otto Greither. Salus multivitamins and supplements are world-renowned, and then and now, Salus has been formulating nutritional remedies without any preservatives, artificial flavours, or genetically modified agricultural raw materials.
Salus Kindervital® for children
Kindervital is a delicious tasting liquid multivitamin that provides a spectrum of essential vitamins and minerals that is formulated specifically for children. It contains the building blocks our kids need to build strong bones, muscles, immune systems and minds.
- Salus Kindervital contains herbal extracts, 9 vitamins, and fruit juice concentrates
- Calcium and vitamin D are needed for the normal growth and development of bone in children
- Vitamins C, B₆ and B₂ contribute to maintaining a normal immune system
- Flavoured with the juice and extracts from whole fruits, vegetables and herbs
- Easy-to-dose liquid.
- It is gluten-free, lactose-free, vegan friendly and made without preservatives, artificial flavours, or colours.